Monterey is a fun place to visit every so often. We’re lucky to live 90 minutes away from such a beautiful place so it’s easy to do a day trip when we feel the need to get away. Since it’s a 3 day weekend for the both of us, we thought we’d take advantage of the time off and visit one of our favorite places to stroll along the coast and snap some pictures for this blog.
I plan to do a follow-up post and incorporate my husband’s photos, but for the time being, I hope you enjoy some pictures from my phone and that you find inspiration for your own adventure.
Monterey is a great place for a staycation for those living within close proximity like us. It’s also a great place for a day trip for those visiting San Francisco. There’s lots of things to do here, sites to see, and also places to eat.
A few ideas to do would be:
- Eat some seafood on the Wharf.
- Visit Cannery Row and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Take a stroll along the coast in Pacific Grove.
- Take a sea car tour and drive around the area in a bright but cute little car.
- Indulge by staying at the Portola Hotel and Spa. It’s walking distance to Old Monterey, the wharf, and the coast.
- Drive the scenic 17 mile drive.
- Visit Carmel.
- Also visit Big Sur.
- Rent bikes and bike along the coast.
- Rent a family bike and pedal together.
- Go kayaking in the ocean.
- Visit during whale watching season and go on a whale watching tour.
- Rent a boat.
- Go fishing right off of the pier.
- Relax and have a picnic on one of the many beaches and/or picnic areas.
- Spot a sea lion or even a sea otter.
- Try a Ghiradelli sundae from the Ghiradelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop in Cannery Row.