It was my first trip to Hawaii and my husband’s second time back when we went together in 2010. We went for our friends’ wedding and stayed for 10 days on the island of Oahu. We rented a car, drove around the island, hung out on the beach during the day, and ate so much Hawaiian food. It was such a great and fun experience!
For first time visitors to Hawaii, I highly recommend going to Oahu first. From what my Hawaiian friends tell me, it’s the most commercialized island, which isn’t a bad thing because there’s a lot of things to do. Whether you’re into shopping, surfing, snorkeling, or just wanting to lounge on the beach, there’s options.
Places that I recommend:
- Kailua Beach – this beach has gorgeous white sands that stretch for 2.5 miles. This is our favorite beach on the island and we loved coming here to walk.
- North Shore – although crowded, we went for the shrimp trucks and Hawaiian shaved ice.
- Koko Head – this is a great hike if you want some physical activity on your trip. For less intensity, there’s Diamond Head
- Boots & Kimo’s – banana mac pancakes. YUM.
- Shark’s cove on the north shore – come here for an intimate snorkeling session.
- Ted’s Bakery – Haupia pie
Hawaiian food I recommend you try:
- Haupia pie
- Shaved Ice
- North Shore shrimp trucks